Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Cancer 101: More info. than I ever wanted to know

In embarking on this journey with my Mother I never imagined I'd learn so much.  I figured I would be the bookkeeper. Someone to keep all the paperwork and appointments in order and make sure she got to all her appointments. But I am so much more. I am her advocate. I am there to make sure she understands everything. So that she doesn't leave an appointment with more questions than when she walked in.  So that she has answers even after the appointment is over.  She can call me and I can tell her when she'll have a test or when to expect a certain side effect. I have taken on this job willingly. I need to be in control. I need to know she will come out on the other side of this disease healthy. I have to know everything.

Every Doctor, every Nurse. Every medication and it's side effect. Every test.  I have it all. In my head and on paper. Not only for her but for myself, my sister, my daughters and neices. We were blindsided.  We have dusted ourselves off and now that we are informed we will be prepared for the future. We will fight and be proactive.

No comments: