Monday, August 30, 2010

First Grade


We go through a bunch of firsts. Today we experienced a few. It was the first day of first grade. A week before Labor Day I won't go into it because that's another post in and of itself.

Right off the bat we could tell Aedan was nervous this morning. Hell, I was nervous for him. All day as a matter of fact. But that also is another post. This was his first day of first grade. An all day affair. With lunch in the cafeteria. We packed lunch today because the menu didn't appeal to him. He only gets about a half hour to eat so we thought bringing would be easier. Seems not to be so. So tomorrow he'll buy and we'll see how that goes. I'll tell him to be fast about it and not to futz around. If all his lunches are that quick I won't have to worry about him blowing the cash reserve on ice cream treat day in and day out.

We waited at the bus stop with hoards of people because this year they switched our neighborhood to morning kindergarten. So all the littles were there as well. It was NUTS. In the madness of a late bus for the bigger kids arriving right behind the just as late bus for the elementary kids Aedan got turned around and almost got on the middle school bus. So glad I was paying attention.

All day long I was nauseous thinking about what he was doing and how things were going. When I finally got to the stop to get him at 3:45 he gets off the bus with a grin and a "geez, don't make a fuss" look on his face I felt better. He had a good day. He doesn't have any homework except to bring work home for me to do. It's amazing the amount of paperwork they still send home for being so "green". I have about 6 forms to fill out and send back. I forgot about all the little extra stuff they get from you at the start of school. I need to schedule his physical and his dental exam soon and write a few checks already. He has a planner. I didn't get a planner til I was in college prep school. Certainly not first grade. I guess that's a good thing but it seems very organized and not very .. um.. well.. fun. He in the big leagues now.

He already has Friday off for a long Labor Day weekend and next week is Picture day and an Ice cream social so he can get reacquainted with his friends in a more social setting. We also have Back To School night so we can meet his teacher, view the class and hopefully meet the other parents. I have issues with other parents. I always feel like an outsider. Like they are all best buds and I'm intruding so I hang back and just observe never wanting to be he annoying Mom. I have issues. I suppose I should get over it. I am hoping a few volunteer gigs for parties and such will get me over the hump..


That's Day 1 in a nutshell or a large suitcase. I'm sure there will be more to come.. if you know anything about our life.. there is always more to come.

No comments: