Friday, September 4, 2009

All in a Day's Work

We have reached the end of our first week of Kindergarten. As a matter of fact they have off today for a long labor day weekend. But I will refrain from going off about that.
All week we get home from work and school and we start the chat with Aedan about how his day was and what did he do. I've been frustrated because his answer is "fine" or "nothing". I want to know what he's doing all day. If he's happy or sad, lonely or friendly.

It really ticked me off so I posted it as my status at Facebook.. A couple friends suggested I wait to ask him. And to try doing it at bedtime. He came home exhausted yesterday and proceeded to nap for 1.5 hours after dinner. He woke up miserable but quickly cheered up after a bit. At bedtime I tucked the girls in and headed for his room.

I tucked him all in and laid down next to him. I proceeded to scratch his back because he loves that and it relaxes him. I asked him how is day was. I asked him how day care was, and who he played with and who he rode the bus with. I asked him everything possible and he answered me. Actually gave me answers that were more than one word. He described a book that the librarian read to them and how he was mad because he didn't get to play basketball in the gym during phys ed. And that he rode the bus home in a seat all by himself. That last part made me a little sad for him but I turned it around and told him how much I loved having the seat to myself so I could stretch out and read. It didn't seem to bother him.

So thank you my dear friends for your suggestions because it was right on and it made my evening to finally know what is going on in the boy's life when he isn't with me. :)

No comments: